A History of the Solent Scout Training Centre
1940 Scouts in South East Hampshire decided it was time they had a campsite to call
their own and so the search for a suitable campsite began although it was to be some time
before their dream was fulfilled.
1971 With the help of a local Shedfield landowner (Commander Richard Phillimore)
Lyons Copse was acquired. Under the stewardship of Harry Lawrence, the 12 acre site was
acquired by 5 Scout Districts (Bishops Waltham, Fareham, Hilsea, Portsdown and Southsea).
Projects were established to provide a toilet block and sleeping accommodation.
The aim was to run camps, rallies and events for up to 600 people on the site.
The site opened in May 1971 and has never looked back.
1979 Eight years later the Districts where joined by Gosport District and the site was
expanded by the addition of another field and another toilet block with showers.
1994 Scouting and the site use moved on at a pace and in 1994 we were asked to consider
an additional accommodation block. Plans were put in place and when money was offered from the
Helping Hands team a new adventure started. This was made all the more exciting when the son
of our first benefactor offered us additional land.
1996 The new Lyons Lodge opened, a big leap forward for the site with modern
indoor accommodation catering for up to fifty people. The opening was celebrated by a visit
from the Chief Scout and the Duke of Kent.
From the opening in 1971 the site has grown to 38 acres of camping, woodland and water area
and includes many onsite activities.
The two accommodation units, which are in regular use, together with the camping facilities and activity
areas, are now attracting a variety of youth organisations in addition to the Scout Association.